Have you noticed a humming noise coming from your garbage disposal? This is an indication that something is jamming your garbage disposal and it is time for your garbage disposal repair.
One of the most common calls for home plumbing issues is a garbage disposal that is clogged. It is possible that a small item has accidentally fell down the disposal clogging the blades. But more often than not, food is the culprit. Here is a list of items that we suggest you avoid putting down your garbage disposal.
- Banana Peels
- Coffee Grounds
- Cucumber Peels
- Grease and Fats
- Onion Skins
- Potato Peels
- Watermelon Rinds
Steps to Repair Your Garbage Disposal
- First you want to unplug it to avoid any accidents.
- Use a flashlight to see if you can look down the drain to see if you can identify the object, stuck between the blades.
- If you are able to, try and remove the object.
- If you were successful in removing the object, plug the power cord back in and test to see if you still hear the humming noise.
- If you are unable to remove the object, contact your Greenville Plumber to fix the issue.
Don’t See Anything in the Drain?
- If the above steps did not work, unplug the garbage disposal again.
- You should see an Allen wrench attached to the garbage disposal.
- At the bottom of the unit is typically the breaker socket. Using the Allen wrench turn the socket back and forth a few times.
- Plug the power back in for the garbage disposal and check to see if you still notice a humming sound.
After trying these suggestions and If you are still experiencing the humming noise, don’t wait any longer and call Premier Plumbing today! We can be reached using our online contact form or by calling 864.444.6570.